The project will be implemented by four national research centres and will have the following features:
Improved productivity and income of small-scale resource poor sheep producers in Ethiopia by providing access to improved animals that respond to improved feeding and management, facilitating the targeting of specific market opportunities.
- Breeding goals defined in a participatory manner by farmers and at least one breeding program established per breed
- A methodological framework for the development of community based breeding programs for smallholder producers, including institutional arrangements
- Impact assessment of the breeding system at individual, flock, community and national level
- Assessment on a national basis, of the characteristics of the breeds managed by breeding programs
- Better understanding of the constraints to market access by sheep keepers