The Livestock and Livelihoods (LILI) project (Livestock and Livelihoods: Improving market participation of small-scale livestock producers), implemented from 2007, aimed at improving market participation of smallholder goat and cattle keepers in semi-arid areas of Mozambique, Namibia and Zimbabwe.
The project objectives are to:
- improve market participation of small-scale goat and cattle keepers in semi-arid regions of Mozambique, Namibia and Zimbabwe;
- evaluate constraints to and opportunities for commercialization of smallholder production of goats and cattle;
- test and evaluate alternative livestock marketing and input delivery systems;
- assess the impact of market-led technology change on household incomes; and
- establish an effective communication strategy to facilitate networking and exchange of information among sector stakeholders.